I have a love/hate relationship with vegan sandwiches.
I love vegan sandwiches because they are layers of deliciousness. They can be as sweet and simple as peanut butter and jelly or as savoury and unique as BBQ jackfruit. They are perfect for easy dinners, for your lunchbox, taking to work, going to school, or eating on the go. No cutlery required. Love it!
1. Rainbow Veggie Sandwich
This veggie-filled sandwich is loaded with healthy foods in all colors of the rainbow.
- 2 slices of your favorite sandwich bread, or a crusty roll, sliced and lightly toasted
- 3-4 Tbsp hummus
- Rainbow Veggies/Toppings to Add:
- red: tomato, bell pepper, strawberries, shredded beets
- orange: bell pepper, shredded carrots, sweet potato, orange slices
- yellow: bell pepper, yellow beets, pineapple rings
- green: leafy greens, sliced cucumbers, avocado, pickles
- blue: roasted portobello mushroom cap, blueberries,
- purple: shredded purple cabbage, purple lettuce, purple sauerkraut
- optional: splash of oil and vinegar and pinch of salt and pepper
- optional: sprinkle of hemp or pumpkin seeds for added protein
- optional: vegan cheese — aged or deli slices — vegan cheese guide
- Toast bread.
- Slather hummus on both sides of the bread.
- Stack your rainbow using any of the options above. I used: tomatoes, radishes, carrots, yellow beets, roasted yellow pepper, cucumber, avocado, roasted mushroom cap, shredded purple cabbage.
Yield: 1 sandwich. Prep Time: 00 hrs. 10 mins. Total time: 10 mins.
2. The Ultimate Vegan BLT
Ingredients: (ingredients for 1 sandwich, with additional eggplant bacon for more sandwiches)
To Make 1 Sandwich:
+ 2 Slices of Toasted Gluten-Free Whole Grain Bread
+ 3 Thick Tomato Slices
+ 2 Leaves of Lettuce
+ 4 Slices of Eggplant Bacon
+ 1 TB Soom Tahini
+ 1 TB Cashew (or Almond) Milk
+ For the eggplant bacon, follow directions in recipe link.
+ For the mayo, simply combine the tahini and milk in a small bowl and mix together until you get a creamy spreadable consistency.
+ To assemble the sandwich, first make sure you toast you bread. Then, in this order, layer one slice of bread with half the tahini mayo, 3 tomato slices, lettuce, the eggplant bacon, and finally the last piece of bread spread with the rest of the tahini mayo.
+ Slice it pretty and devour! So good! My mouth is watering….better go set that dehydrator again!
3. Vegan Cream Cheese Sandwich
Choose your favorite bread and toppings to make this easy and delicious sandwich!
- 2 slices bread
- vegan cream cheese
- sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil
- fresh baby spinach (or any of your favorite sandwich ingredients)
Spread a layer of vegan cream cheese on each slice of bread.
Add some drained sun-dried tomatoes and spinach leaves to one slice of the bread.
Place the second slice of bread on top and enjoy your sandwich!
I used a Schar Baguette (gluten-free) to make my sandwich.